Wednesday, April 18, 2018

All Good Things...

I was informed early this afternoon that The Point was letting me go, after nearly eight years as the Music Director and Midday host. It was a shock. I'd done nothing wrong. this was through no fault of my own. I asked and was assured of this.

For those who ask, this is what I know: Program Director and Morning Host Zeb Norris had asked a couple months ago to step back from his Program Director responsibilities, and the company found a way to make that work, they thought, and hired John Mullet as the new Program Director. Today, I was informed by Station Manager and Owner Ed Flanagan that although Zeb had been going to assume some responsibilities with other stations owned by the company, while still doing mornings on The Point, the company's plans for those stations had changed and Zeb wasn't needed for that, and so he would be assuming my responsibilities as Music Director, and I was being let go.

Back when Ed told me about the hiring of John and the stepping back of Zeb, I didn't see how the station could support this and me, too. Logically, it seemed to me, Zeb could be named Music Director. I asked Ed outright if I should be worried, get my resume ready. He'd said no. Disappointing to find my instincts were correct.

But? Much as I appreciate people supporting me, and asking others to Boycott the Point, please don't. A lot of great people still work there, and I don't want to be responsible for them getting hurt.

I'm really going to miss being on The Point, and being the Music Director. It wasn't all awesome. As I'm being transparent, I'll be honest - it was pretty much my dream job, but the pay was miserable. For me, that was a trade-off - do what I love, but get paid a low wage. No raise in the last several years, either. It wasn't about the money, though. It was about doing what I loved to do - listen to a ton of new music, play it on the radio and talk about it. I can do without a lot of stuff, so long as I'm doing something that fulfills me day-to-day.

Because it's what drives me, and I have no intention of losing touch with the world of music, I'm going to keep bringing you music. I don't know what's next, but I'm going to use this blog and other platforms to keep playing music for you, and telling you about it, while I figure out my next steps.

If you have music you want me to hear, send it my way. If you hear of opportunities I should know about, send them my way - please! Email - glowinthedarkradio [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment