Tuesday, July 09, 2013

More Music From 2013's First Half...

My post on favorite music from the first half of 2013 has been kind of popular... thanks for checking it out! There was also a second post - if you missed it, that continuation of the list is here: http://glowinthedarkradio.blogspot.com/2013/07/couple-more-from-first-half.html. Third time's the charm, they say. Since I'm up late watching the Red Sox on the left coast...

Night Beds - Country Sleep

Night Beds is Winston Yellin and his band. Country Sleep is their debut. Just saw them at the Monkey House in Winooski a week ago Saturday. It was an uneven set, with flashes of brilliance and annoying moments of technical adjustments. The crowd was small but enthusiastic. Made me happy. Winston came over after the set and gave me a hug, thanked me for the vibe! He's kind of a quirky genius. "Ramona" has been getting some radio play (yeah, wonder by who...):


Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "Let The Day Begin"

As a big fan of The Call way back when, I loved the original take on this tune. Michael Been of The Call had been working with his son Robert Levon Been's band - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - doing sound for them on tour in 2010, when he collapsed and died. Extremely sad. If any band has a right to perform this song in tribute, it's BRMC. They put their own spin on it... has a bit more thunder and fewer "blessings from above":


Natalie Gelman - "The Lion"

This song has kind of stuck with me since I first heard it earlier this year on her Streetlamp Musician. I like cats, what can I say? There's something to this... she's got a lot of potential. No video, though. You can hear it on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/nataliegelman/the-lion

Hope you enjoy 'em, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment