Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Mike's Top 20 Tracks of 2017

Told you about my Top Ten Albums for the year (10-6) (5-1) - here are my Top Twenty Tracks for 2017!

https://open.spotify.com/user/21nartxt2q556w4a7r4x3ruqy/playlist/2LxNQ0vbrkjQbERxPq3eGI

In the world created by downloads, segueing into the streaming world, individual tracks are becoming much more popular than albums. As an album fan, it's not a trend I'm fond of, but it is happening all the same. Folks stream or download the track they like, but don't do the deeper dive into a fuller work. Also, artists and labels, hedging their bets, are releasing more EPs - less of an investment - but an EP is really an extended single... An LP is an Album!

But because of this, rating albums only covers half the story of the year in music. You have to look at the tracks that worked for you, too. What follow are 20 favorites of mine. It's so subjective - even personally! At another time, in a different frame of mind, my own picks could be entirely different.

Some of the tracks are from my top albums, there is crossover. Although? Wasn't sure I should include them or not, at first, given that they're part of the other list. But this list is here to single out strong tracks. After brief internal debate, I decided to include any tracks I thought deserved to be on the list. Made sense.

Can't help myself... this impulse to "evaluate" or just plain look back at a year's worth of music at year's end comes natural to me. There's some art to it. At least, I tell myself there is. For example? Year-end lists can favor new releases over things that came out at the start of the year - haven't lived with the newer stuff as long. The earlier releases are slightly more time-tested - and time-worn. So you should keep that in mind when considering your picks.

I tend to violate this "rule" only with pop or dance tracks. They only sound good to me while they're still kind of "fresh" and not overplayed, over-loved, so my picks in pop are usually newer things. If any make it! A few did this year...

You can hear the Spotify playlist here:  https://open.spotify.com/user/21nartxt2q556w4a7r4x3ruqy/playlist/2LxNQ0vbrkjQbERxPq3eGI

Top 20 Tracks - The List - Arranged for Flow - Not in Any Particular Order

SYML “Where’s My Love”
Lo Moon “This Is It”
Phoebe Bridgers “Motion Sickness”
Steven Wilson “Pariah”
Elbow “Magnificent (She Says)”
O + S “Remember When… (The Backroads)”
Jason Isbell “Hope the High Road”
Chris Stapleton “Millionaire”
Drew Holcomb and The Neighbors “Fight for Love”
BNQT “Real Love”
Low Cut Connie “Revolution Rock ‘n’ Roll”
Chicano Batman “Friendship (Is a Small Boat in a Storm)”
Blondie “Long Time”
Shout Out Louds “Oh Oh”
Grizfolk “In My Arms (feat. Jamie N Commons)”
The National “The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness”
The Outdoor Type “On My Mind”
Dan Auerbach “Shine On Me”
Blitzen Trapper “Wild and Reckless”
The War On Drugs “Thinking of a Place”

Listen to a mix of tracks from my Top Ten Albums of 2017 here:  https://open.spotify.com/user/21nartxt2q556w4a7r4x3ruqy/playlist/65rEoNme2E3xj5YqMpbsWO

No comments:

Post a Comment